Getting Closer to being legal.

What's going on with the incline, weather conditions, volunteer opportunities.

Getting Closer to being legal.

Postby ManitouMan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Getting Closer to opening the Incline...

One step closer to hiking the Manitou Incline legally
March 17, 2009 - 11:29 PM

DAVE PHILIPPS

THE GAZETTE

The Manitou Incline is the toughest, most-touted and most-trespassed trail in the region, and now it is officially on its way to becoming legal, too.

Colorado Springs City Councilman Scott Hente went before the Manitou Springs City Council on Tuesday to outline a plan to legitimize the steep jumble of 2,744 old railroad ties that hundreds of hikers trespass on every day.

It was the first time details of Colorado Springs' closed-door deal with the Pikes Peak Cog Railway, which owns part of the Incline, were officially revealed, and it was a pivotal test for the plan.

Hente said if Manitou didn't back opening the Incline, he would abandon his efforts.

After hearing the plan, the four present members of the council backed it unanimously.

The plan has four steps. First Colorado Springs signs a revokable agreement giving the cog use of a small dirt parking lot next to its parking lots in Ruxton Canyon, which could happen in one to two weeks.

In exchange, the cog grants a trail easement on its portion of the Incline, allowing hikers to cross legally. That could happen in one to two months.

Once those steps are finished, proponents of the trail would begin a process to get the trail officially recognized on a portion of Pike National Forest near the top. At the same time, Colorado Springs and Manitou would begin to devise a plan to manage and maintain the trail.

"It's not going to open tomorrow," Hente said. "Even if (cog manager) Spencer (Wren) and I stand up here holding hands and singing Kumbaya and it still wouldn't be legal, but we are on our way."

The Incline was never meant to be a trail. It began, just over a century ago as tracks for a work train used to install a pipeline. Then for decades it acted as a tourist attraction whisking riders 1,900 feet up a steep mountainside.

When the tourist train was scrapped in 1990 the abandoned ties became a cult workout of a few mountain runners. Slowly word spread. Today on a nice summer day it can attract over 1,000 people, making it one of the most popular trails in the region.

It has been written up in the New York Times and Sports Illustrated.

The stairs are a regular regimen for everyone from stay-at-home moms to Olympic athletes to soldiers getting in shape to return to Iraq.

Just before Tuesday's meeting 38 people started up the ties in a 23-minute period - three of them in leprechaun costumes.

But with growing popularity came growing problems. Hikers clogged the already-congested parking spots of upper Ruxton Avenue and the cog has to patrol its parking lots to keep Incline hikers out.

The old railway is also in dire need of maintenance.

Many said legitimizing the Incline would only make both problems worse. But with hordes of people doing it illegally anyway, and a trail is so steep that, even left unvisited, it falls apart, Hente knew he had to find a solution.

He also wanted a solution because for four years he has been a regular illicit Incline user, as have a number of judges, deputy district attorneys, cops and others whose job it is to uphold the law.

"We've struggled with the Incline for years," Manitou mayor Eric Drummond said. "And we've never had any idea how to have a positive impact. If this opens the door, I'm in favor."

Hente said there is a strong desire from locals to donate time and money to fix the Incline. He even said he was contacted by a man who offered over $100,000 for a maintenance fund.

Manitou council member Ed Klingman said other locals had made similar, though more modest, pledges to him.

"I think you'd be surprised how loved the Incline is by a lot of people he said, adding, "I really think by working together we can achieve this."
ManitouMan

Re: Getting Closer to being legal.

Postby freeze » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:26 pm

Finally I can do the incline with a clear conscious. You know I just cringe every time I pass the No Trespassing sign.
freeze

Postby freeze » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:43 pm

So I did notice that the No Trespassing sign has changes. Someone appears to have removed the modern sign leaving only an old sign stating that the incline is the property of the Pikes Peak and Manitou Railway. I know it is a sign, but it is a sign of change???
freeze

Postby foxrider13 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:32 am

Ha ha Yeah someone removed the red no tress pass sigh n..Nobody pays much attention to it anyhow! :lol: It was great this a.m..I LOVE THE INCLINE :D
foxrider13

Postby homer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Guess this means we'll be waiting for a solution for a while...

http://barrysblog.freedomblogging.com/2 ... climb/773/

Manitou's budget woes have created an uphill climb
October 13th, 2009, 3:51 pm · Post a Comment · posted by bnoreen
Here it is: The Manitou Incline. The well known hiking destination is at the center of the parking woes in Manitou Springs. Hikers park up and down Ruxton Avenue trying to get as close as they can to the base of the Incline. The causes parking problems for residents and the problem at times spills over into downtown Manitou. The Incline is what a lawyer might call an "attractive nuisance" and city leaders have been grappling with how to transform the Incline into an attraction.

Other issues in Manitou these days include the desire by some to re-development the east and west ends of town in hopes of securing businesses that produce sales tax revenue that is less susceptible to the ups and downs of tourist season.

The recession has hit Manitou hard. It currently does not have a town manager and a couple of other positions have been left open as well. Like Colorado Springs, Manitou is somewhat over-dependent on sales tax revenue, so the recession has had more of a fiscal impact than it would have, had there been a more hefty property tax.

By not growing, Manitou has avoided some of Colorado Springs' problems -- notably the increasing difficulty of covering the entire city adequately with police and fire protection. Manitou Springs has its own school system, too, but because so many Manitou residents work and shop in Coloorado Springs, the town of 5,000 has an interest in the vitality of Colorado Springs, as well. Manitou voters will go to the pols in November to elect a mayor and three city council members. They also will vote on a charter amendment that would allow city hall a bit more flexibility in spending on infrastructure.

homer

Postby jfriesema » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Did the Matt Carpenter just get elected to the Manitou City Council?

electionresults.jpg
electionresults.jpg (68.59 KiB) Viewed 17990 times
jfriesema
Site Admin

Postby freeze » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 pm

I can confirm that it is that Matt Carpenter.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/electio ... nitou.html

Maybe this will help pave the way for the incline to be officially legal.
freeze

Postby ManitouMan » Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 am

Yet another update but the news is still "not yet."

http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/the-incline-not-legal-yet/
ManitouMan

Postby freeze » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:53 pm

These incidents probably don't help the legalization process. Looks like it was amatuer night at the incline last night.

http://www.krdo.com/news/24104697/detail.html
freeze

Postby freeze » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:01 pm

freeze

Next

Return to Manitou Incline News